Wiring for electrically heated towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hopefully there are some electricians out there familiar with Part P and bathrooms...

I've recently had my traditional boiler replaced with a combi, and the old airing cupboard and hot water cylinder have been removed to make the bathroom wider. However, my missus can't do without an airing cupboard, so I am building a small one in the corner of the new bathroom. To heat it I have a small towel radiator inside which is dual fuel, i.e. plumbed into the central heating, and also has a thermostatic electrical heating element. Power will be supplied from the cable which used to supply the old immersion heater, which is on it's own fuseway off the main consumer unit in the garage directly below.

I will be getting an electrician in to finish and check all my wiring, but 3 things I could do with knowing before I build my walls:

1. Do I need an isolator switch near the heater or can I just terminate the heater lead in a wall plate inside the cupboard?
2. If I need an isolator switch can it be in the cupboard, which is IN the bathroom but well outside zones 1 and 2, or must it be outside the bathroom to comply with Part P?
3. Since the heater has it's own MCB in the consumer unit, would it need a separate fuse on the wall plate in the cupboard, or on the isolation switch (wherever that may be).

Any advice greatfully received. Many thanks :D .

Doug

Sponsored Links
flex outlet fused switch spur in the cupboard will be fine.. at the back out of general reach...

since it's in a permanent "room" of it's own and will have a door then it's not technicaly "in" the bathroom..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back