Wiring for Hive Active Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for help to install my Hive active heating for use with my Ideal Combi boiler. Can you guys help me determine which wires should go where for the Hive? Picture attached of the current wiring.

Thanks

Attachments

• C0A7EC15-5D7D-450A-9AAF-DAD5B0C94503.jpeg
    C0A7EC15-5D7D-450A-9AAF-DAD5B0C94503.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Yes, sorry should have mentioned that in the original post.

Brown to L
Blue to N
Black to 1
Green/Yellow to 3

You should, strictly speaking, sleeve the G/Y and Black with brown or otherwise indicate it is being used as a live conductor.
Although it is pretty obvious from looking at them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your quick reply and advice! Much appreciated

I know with Nest if you use the power from the heat link to power the thermostat it needs an earth wire, not a clue why it says you need one, I see Hive has an earth terminal, regulations say "A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a
lamp holder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point." so even if not used there should be an earth. So very likely it is simply to comply with regulations and not required, however if an EICR is done they could fault it with not earth, only really a problem with a rented house.

However you do need at least to over sleeve the yellow/green, seem to remember volt free wires should be white, so would cover with white tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back