Wiring for Hive receiver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking to replace my old TRAC timer my oil heating. This is located beside the oil boiler.

Looking at the wiring on my old timer there are 2 Brown going to No1, No2 has a link wire to No3 (live feed) 2 Blue @ 1 black to No4.

These wires are from the oil boiler thermostat & the water pump total 5 wires plus live feed.

Which wires have to connect to N-L-1-2-3-4 on the Hive receiver?
Will I have to link any of these connections?

Thank Bill

Sponsored Links
First of all, there are two versions of the Hive receiver, and the wiring is different depending upon which version you have.

There are also several variants of TRAC timer. Yours appears to me to be a single channel timeswitch. From memory, and based on the info in your post I seem to think it is likely that:

Terminals 1 & 2 are voltage free switching contacts
Terminal 3 is the Live of the 230V supply
Terminal 4 is the Neutral of the 230V supply

Can you confirm this? The information should be in the instructions for the timer, and also usually printed on, or inside the timer somewhere.

If this is the case, things don't quite add up. If your boiler was a combi, and didn't have any stored hot water (aka a hot water cylinder) a single channel timeswitch is fine. However, if you do have stored hot water and central heating, a single channel timeswitch controlling both heating and hot water so that they are both either on or off together would be unusual, and not suitable for direct conversion to Hive without some rewiring and possible plumbing modifications.

Also, as I said before, there are two versions of the Hive.

1) The single channel version of the Hive is for combi boilers without stored hot water. If you use this to replace a single channel timeswitch that is presently controlling the heating and hot water together, the hot water won't work when the Hive room thermostat has turned the heating off, and during the summer when the house is warm.

2) The dual channel version of the Hive is for controlling central heating and hot water. If you tried to replace a single channel timeswitch with this, some significant rewiring and possibly the addition of a 3-Port motorised valve would be required.

To be more definitive, the following information is required:

Confirmation of the functions of the terminals 1 to 4 at the existing timer.
Details of what is connected to the other end of each of the 5 wires.
Details of the type of plumbing / heating system that is being controlled. (ie fully pumped, gravity hot water with pumped heating, Y-Plan, S-Plan, combi etc.,)

Last edited:
Hi

I currently have a Worscester Junior 28i Boiler attached to a Honeywell BDR91thermostat receiver. Im replacing with Hive single channel but it my current wiring set-up hasnt worked as it has no power? Ive done the L>L, N>N, A>1 B>3 but there was a cable in the BDR91 not connected to anything and just floating. Any ideas?
20190219_170908.jpg
15505995565445315199940892081719.jpg
20190219_170908.jpg
15505995565445315199940892081719.jpg
20190219_170908.jpg 15505995565445315199940892081719.jpg

Another thread hijack:rolleyes:

Do you still have a programmer in the circuit? If so you need to turn it to constantly on.

Sponsored Links
....and whilst you are at it, put the green/yellow (earth) wire in the earth tether, so that it is out of harms way.

Capture.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back