Wiring for Light pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding the wiring of a light pull switch in a bathroom. The old switch has parted company with the ceiling and has exposed two cables with the two black wires twisted together and two earth wires also twisted together. There are two separate red wires. I am unsure how to connect these wires to the new ceiling switch as the wiring does not correspond to the diagram that comes with the fixture. My belief is that the 2 red wires have been connected previously into L1 and L2 with the black and earth wires unconnected. Is this likely? Is this safe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The blacks are probably neutrals so do not connect to the switch, they should be in a piece of connector block or another type of secure connector. The (sleeved) earths both go to the earth terminal.
What are the terminals marked up as on the new switch?
One red connects to the common and the other to one of the ways, it could be C and L1 or it could be L1 and L2 depending on make.

Its not likely that the two reds were connected to L1 and L2. These terminals will not make when the switch is operated in both positions.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. The way the neutral wires have been twisted together appears to suggest that they were not connected, (as you also state). The fixture has earth, C, L1 and L2 connections. I tried connecting the reds to L1 and C but it didn't work. Should I try connecting them to L1 and L2? It also looks as if the earth wires were not connected at all!

When you say the neutrals are twisted together, do you mean the copper ends are twisted together?
The reds will almost certainly go in C and L1
The earths may not have been connected to the old switch if it was plastic, however they should be securely joined together to ensure earth continuity along the circuit.

thanks for that. I'll try connecting the lives to C and L1 tomorrow, if this doesn't work I'll try connecting them to L1 and L2. Will this be safe to try? I'll also get a connector block

It'll be safe enough to try L1 and L2, I can't see it working though.
Your problem could just be a dodgy connection on the neutrals.

Ok. I'll check it all out again tomorrow, in the day light. This is the first time I've posted on this forum and was unsure what sort of response I would get. Very impressed with your help and advice. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back