Wiring help for Expelair DX200 extractor fan needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I really hope someone can help with some wiring advice.

I recently purchased a bathroom extractor fan, an Expelair DX200 and have some queries about wiring it correctly. I have mounted it to the ceiling but as I have old wiring c.1980 I'm unsure which wires I should use.

Currently when wired the unit is on continuously and should switch off when I turn the light off.

Below is the wiring diagram from the unit instruction manual and a photograph of my wiring (red blue and yellow wires are from the home circuit) so it would be great if someone was able to advise on this.

Some more detail on the unit, you can view this online here http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Xpelair/XPPDX200_PDX200T.PDF

I look forward to hearing from you.
ta

Sponsored Links
Do you have an isolator in circuit (three pole or two pole)?
and what wiring is at light?
any approved testing equipment available to you, to test for continuity and voltage?
You need to find which cable is serving which function.
So confirmation of
*permanent live
*switched live
*neutral
* and earth/CPC :!:
are required.

Is this a new installation or a replacement?

CAUTION
You may have made a very dangerous connection which will make the fan dangerous even lethal to touch.

The YELLOW wire is most probably the switched LIVE and is live when the lights are ON .... this should go to the terminal where you have put the red wire which is PERMANENTLY LIVE.

This fan requires an Earth, that will be a bare copper wire ( possibly with loose green/yellow sleeving ) in the gray sheath surrounding the red blue and yellow wires.
If there is no earth you cannot use this fan.

This fan requires an Earth, that will be a bare copper wire ( possibly with loose green/yellow sleeving ) in the gray sheath surrounding the red blue and yellow wires.
If there is no earth you cannot use this fan.

After looking at the spec, indeed it does.
So check the grey sheath of incoming cable for bare copper CPC.
This will also need to be continuously connected to all accessories back to the MET at CU and continuity confirmed.

Sponsored Links
Folks
Thanks for your quick reply (and warnings), really appreciate it.
unfortunately you are talking to a complete novice in these things but will try to answer some questions.
This is a replacement installation (the old unit was a less powerful version) and the blue red and yellow wires are the only three wires that come of of the ceiling. As the wiring is old, if the yellow should go where the red wire currently is, where should the red and blue wires go?
Or should I just give up and fork out for an electrician?

ASSUMING it was previously wired correctly then

The yellow ( switched live ) goes to LH or LL depending on the speed you require the fan to run at.

The blue ( neutral ) goes to N

The red ( permanent live ) is not used and must be terminated in a terminal block with no other connection to it.

I repeat that this fan must NOT be used without an effective earth connection as is stated in the manufacturer's installation instructions.

You need to get to the end of the cable to find out if there is a effective earth ( CPC ) in the cable.

I don't think the fan has a timer..

There will be a CPC (earth) in the cable but an idiot may have cut it off.

If this is the case it would be acceptable to sleeve with green&yellow and rewire the yellow but as you have said don't know what you are doing perhaps an electrician would be wiser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back