Wiring Help for lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to impress my girlfriend I thought I'd buy some spotlights from homebase . Everyone told me they are easy to fit :confused: . When I removed the old ceiling rose and disconnected the wires I was left with 3 mains cables coming from the ceiling. Each cable had a black(N), red(L) and an yellow/green(E). In one of the cables the black wire had a small red collar on (I believe) this is the switch. The earth in each cable is connected to one middle cable. I am now left with 3 red wires and 3 black wires(one with red band) and one earth. How do I connect thes wires to my recently bought shop spotlight which only has 3 openings on the terminal block.

Hope this makes sense, I would appreciate any help you can give me, thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use one of these:

ASJ501X.JPG

Sponsored Links
One way or another, the black with the red sleeve goes to the L of the light.

The blacks will go to the N of the light.

The earths go to earth terminal.

The reds go together in a separate terminal.

If you have more than one light controlled by the switch, the red going to the other light will go together with the red sleeved black.

Hi Guys thanks for your help. This is were i'm up to. I now have 3 loose red wires. Can I connect these to a connector block?[/img]

So one of those in the ceiling void to take the circuit and switch cables, with a cable running from it to the light would be useless, would it?

Care to explain why?

I would use a 15amp four terminal strip..
Presumably that would be just as useless?

So one of those in the ceiling void to take the circuit and switch cables, with a cable running from it to the light would be useless, would it?

Care to explain why?

Because it wouldnt be accessible without cutting a huge hole in the ceiling, that wouldn't be covered by the light.

Recessed downlight yes, prefect.

If you have more than one light controlled by the switch, the red going to the other light will go together with the red sleeved black.

You haven't answered this.

If the switch only controls one light, put all the remaining reds together in a separate piece of connector block.

Hi Guys thanks for your help. This is were i'm up to. I now have 3 loose red wires. Can I connect these to a connector block?[/img]

Yes, put all reds in a separate connector.

Are these connectors any use? If so where do the red wires go. Do I need a 3-way connector

Cut one of those into a single connector and put all the spare reds you have into that.

I hope you've been turning off and checking the power to the lights!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back