Wiring help with changing switches - 1970's house

Obviously if you can't tell I am not experienced at all!
No you are not.

And you are also ignorant. You think that one of the conductors is a neutral, you have no idea what switches do, and you're proposing to wire it up so that it will connect live to earth.

I have wired the neutral and live as per the diagram
No you haven't.

which also seems to show the earth/green needing to be wired in to the top 'L' terminal
No it doesn't.

I know I can do this
What grounds do you have for "knowing" that?

don't want to pay for an electrician for what should be a quick job.
It is a quick job, for someone who understands what they are doing. You don't.

If you'd gone ahead with your idea of putting the earth into L then some or all of these would have happened when you turned the power back on:

blank65x10t.gif
• A &*^%$£#@~ great bang and destruction of the switch.
blank65x10t.gif
• Tripping the MCB/blowing the fuse.
blank65x10t.gif
• Tripping the RCD.

Or possibly, if there are things wrong with your electrical installation, other metalwork in the house becoming live.

Attempting to do electrical work without a proper understanding of what you're fiddling with is a stupidly dangerous idea. You should not be blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without genuinely knowing why.

Please either get an electrician or put all plans to actually do any electrical work on hold until you know what you're doing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back