wiring in a bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What I'd like to do, but don't know if possible, is have the fan and lights on one switch but have the fan only come on when the humidity goes above the threshold. I know a lot of bathrooms have it so the fan comes on irrespective. But we do have an opening window light in the room.
My builder tells me that humidistat fans are easily affected by outside conditions and can come on when you don't want. The bathroom outside wall does get the brunt of storms that pass through.

Sponsored Links
well you could have a manrose fan with inbuilt humidity sensor.

If you don't want it coming on with the light (to remove smells) then don't connect the switched wire up. And it will work automatically.

It's true humidistat fans do take a lot of adjusting to get spot on

Why not just buy a fan which you turn on and off as and when it is needed?

What is the underlying functionality re when you want the fan to come on?

Why not just buy a fan which you turn on and off as and when it is needed?

What is the underlying functionality re when you want the fan to come on?
I guess to have the fan running without human intervention, people can be forgetful...especially kids!

Sponsored Links
modern extractors can be near-silent and use negligible amounts of electricity.

What are the benefits you foresee from preventing the fan starting when the bathroom is used?

I think the underlying functionality is for it to spin and remove smells and steam :)
Anything else is a bonus.,

I think (might be wrong) Bas just means - how does the OP want the fan to operate?, because -

What I'd like to do,..., is have the fan and lights on one switch but have the fan only come on when the humidity goes above the threshold.

That means he doesn't want it to operate to remove smells nor, indeed, when the humidity is still high but the light has been turned off - which seems not ideal.

I think the key word in the sentence is ON.

I'm surprised Ban hasn't underlined it.

What do the kids forget to do? Do they forget to turn it ON ?
Do they forget to turn it OFF ?

When do you want it to come ON ? and go off ?

Let's postulate that a bathroom extractor is required under the following circumstances:

When the WC has been used

When the bath has been used

When the shower has been used.

When a flatulent plumber has been in the bathroom.

Let's postulate that it is not required when none of these conditions has been satisfied.

Does anyone know what hardship will be caused if the fan starts needlessly, when a person walks into the bathroom to admire the tiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back