Wiring in a loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
For ease of installation of a simple bulb on a wire in my loft, can I simply add a junction box to the existing wire that supplies each of the bedroom lights in turn, take one wire from the +VE of this junction box to a switch, and then the other side of the switch to one side of the bulb, and then the other side of the bulb back to the junction box and connect it to the NEUTRAL?
Cheers,
Pat...

Sponsored Links
you can, (its live not +) but i would look for the last fed light and take it from there. have a look in for refence (sticky) what you want / how lights are wired is in there

Do you mean 1.0mm twin and earth cable ?
Or are we talking single insulated single core cable?

Would be 1.0mm twin and earth, but without the earth connected.
Even if I find the last light in the circuit and wire it the same way from there, what difference would it make if it's at the end or in the middle?

Sponsored Links
simple.
if you look at the drawing i mentioned, you will see that you can use the last rose instead of a junction box, this rose will only have 2 cables, not three like the others, so it will be easier to fit the new cable in.

and you MUST connect the earth

Avoneer said:
Would be 1.0mm twin and earth, but without the earth connected.
Even if I find the last light in the circuit and wire it the same way from there, what difference would it make if it's at the end or in the middle?

the earth is there for a reason. use it

itll be easier to take a T+E from a light to the switch, put the live thru the switch and have the neutral running straight thru. either dont cut the cable so the neutral is not cut, or use a choc block

How do I connect an earth to a "bulb on a wire" with only two wires?
I know the answer and I know how and where to connect the earths.
Thanks anyway.
Pat...

I also can't get to the last connection as it is right in the corner of the loft behind the water tanks etc, hence asking what difference it will make further down the circuit?
Pat...

Avoneer said:
How do I connect an earth to a "bulb on a wire" with only two wires?
I know the answer and I know how and where to connect the earths.
Thanks anyway.
Pat...

so what happens when a class 1 light fitting is put up?

do it right first time.
Avoneer said:
I also can't get to the last connection as it is right in the corner of the loft behind the water tanks etc, hence asking what difference it will make further down the circuit?
Pat...

you can take a feed from anywhere in the lighting circuit

Hi,
Thanks andrew2022.
But what's a class 1 light fitting?
So far I have cut the upstairs lights radial circuit and added a 3 way round junction box. From this junction box, I have taken 1.0mm two core to the switch. The live connects to one terminal of the switch, the neutral to a choc bloc and the earth to the earth terminal on the switch box casing. I have then taken another 1.0mm two core cable to a light bulb housing thing. At the switch end of this cable, the live is connected to the other terminal of the switch, the neutral to the choc bloc and the earth to the earth terminal inside the switch box casing. In the bulb housing, the live and neutral connect to the bulb connections and I have just cut the earth short and wrapped some insulation tape around it.
Is this ok?
Thanks,
Pat...

Avoneer said:
But what's a class 1 light fitting?
One that needs an earth.

So far I have cut the upstairs lights radial circuit and added a 3 way round junction box.
It would have been more elegant to use a 4-way and not taken the neutral through the switch with choc-block, but it's personal taste.

I have just cut the earth short and wrapped some insulation tape around it.
Is this ok?
Thanks,
Pat...
Insulation tape is not permanent - if you had earth core to deal with you should have sleeved it and put choc-block on the end. Overlong sleeving and folding the wire double is another answer. As for cutting it back, is there enough slack, or would the cable be easy to replace, if at some point in the future someone wants a Class I luminaire?

Left the "surplus" earth long enough to still put a bit of green/yellow sleeve on it and choc bloc it so I will.
Thanks for all the advice - light and switch work fine by the way.
Cheers,
Pat...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back