Wiring in a new Roof light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone new if it was possible to get a terminal block that had 3 screws inputs (or more) that are all connected.

Problem is that I am trying to replace a roof light.
Wiring is the old colour standards (Black and Red). However, there are two separate light switchs and as a result I have two cables coming down through the roof (each contains 2 black, 2 Red 1 earth). Hence, I am trying to link up 4 black wires with 1 blue (from the light).

Hence, using a standard terminal block it is just one in one out.

I have looked on B&Q etc and cannot find any that will do the job.

I tried using a terminal block housed with a standard plastic light pendant (has the following inputs 3,3,2). But I could not get the new light fittings base over it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Gareth.

Sponsored Links
also, does anyone know where to get fuse wire for an old style fuse box?

It appears that a fuse within it has blown since trying to have a look at the light.

cheers,
Gareth.

Sponsored Links
You can possibly get fusewire in woolworths or a hardware store ,on a card with about a foot of each size 5, 15 ,30 amp on it

I dont think there is a reg , to stop you putting more than two wires in the blocks you have, providing the blocks current rating is ok
For a 5 amp fused circuit 15 a connecters should be well sufficient.

Plastic ones sometimes melt ,so if the fitting gets hot bakerlite ones or similar may be best

you do realise one of the blacks may be a switchlive , if you have joined it to the black neutrals that may be why you blew the fuse

yeah that will probably be why I blew the fuse,
although when I was removing the fitting, all the wires (4 red, 4 black and two earth) looked to be wired in. not of the black wires has electrical tape or anthing on it.

Is there any way to tell what one is the switchlive? and if so what do you do with it.

Also, the due to size problems using a standard choc block connector I can not get the 3-4 wires in to meet the relevant light fitting wire. Hence, why I was trying to use the plastic light fitting build in choc box, it has 3 boxes connected together ( so I can fit the wires in 2 , 2 and 1). But due to size problems this did not work.

Cheers,
Gareth.

the odd amount of wires and the size of them , makes it difficult to work out what you have
Two 5 core cable in them colours seems odd

I think it may be because 2 overhead lights (seperate places in the hall) are switched on and off with 2 light switchs that are seperate places in the hall.

Hence, the two lights are connected.

Gareth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back