wiring in electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , in my kitchen i have a 45amp socket control unit TO a 45amp dual appliance/cooker outlet plate supplying power to the under built in single oven & hob ,
i had to replace the faulty oven , the new oven came with a plug which i cut off to fit the cable to the cooker outlet plate ,but now iv'e realised i can't switch off the oven when i'm using the hob ( i could with the old one ) the oven timer light stays on & the fan sometimes comes on,
a bit annoying if i'm just using the hob, so what options do i have ,
spur switch ? maybe

Sponsored Links
The oven fan coming on is a safety feature to stop your oven housing over-heating.

Sponsored Links
Most people are happy to set the oven time & leave it on , but I prefer to switch it off at the socket unit when not in use,
so could I use a 45 switch to control the oven seperate from the hob, is this my best option,

Well, you could if you want but there is no reason to switch off the oven when not in use.

The switch is not an electrical regulation requirement but is classed as an emergency switch.
As such, it is better for a single switch to control all the cooking appliances.

I really would prefer oven & hob to be switched off at the cooker unit. in case my grand kids were to turn a control on the hob
I'm thinking of taking a spur with a 2.5 cable from back of cooker control to a 13amp fused switch spur & simply connecting my 2.7k oven, how does that sound,

You could do that, I suppose.
But wouldn’t you need a similar arrangement for the hob.

Do you have similar fears for all the other electrical items in your house?

I really would prefer oven & hob to be switched off at the cooker unit. in case my grand kids were to turn a control on the hob
That is not the same as you said originally.

That would be as I said - oven and hob on one switch - which would stop the kids turning on the hob.

Are they in the habit of playing with hobs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back