wiring in light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you friendly people can help me.Moved into a house which has 2 ceiling lights in the lounge with with a double light switch to control each light seperately but they have been wired up so that one switch turns on both lights, and i want to wire them up how they should be.There are 4 red wires coming into the switch and at the moment 2 go to l1 top and two go to l1 bottom.Thanks to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
Karl, if that is the case, then your task is simple you will be glad to hear.

Each of the cables should be in pairs, if it is Twin and earth cable you will be able to see which are pairs as they will share the outer grey or white sheath. If they do not then do not despair, it is still no problem.

If you are able to clearly identify the pair, with the power to your lighting circuit turned off in the consumer unit, take the pair out of the switch they are currently in, and then put them in the corresponding terminals of the other switch..that simple.

If you cannot identify them as pairs, don't panic, simply remove one from the top terminal of the current switch, and put it in the top terminal of the other switch, now repeat this procedure for the cables in the bottom terminal.

That should solve your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back