wiring in the oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: Hi all.. iam installing a sep electric oven and gas hob.now my cooker switch has a spur out to a 4 way socket extention.the hob is wired to a sep 13amp rated switch.the extractor fan is wired to the cooker switch as well.it looks a bit all over the place but i dont want to wire my oven the a 13amp plug and plug it into this 4 way extention ..(this how i found it when i removed the old units) can any one help?// cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
Do you know what size the oven is (kW rating on back) and what size cable has been installed from your fuse board to the switch?

originalmix said:
:rolleyes: Hi all.. iam installing a sep electric oven and gas hob.now my cooker switch has a spur out to a 4 way socket extention.
Do you mean that you have something similar to this:

CM2456.jpg

and then from there someone has run a spur supplying another 4 sockets?

the hob is wired to a sep 13amp rated switch
Do you mean an FCU, similar to this?

CM2368.jpg

If so, where does the supply for that come from? If not, what do you mean?

the extractor fan is wired to the cooker switch as well.
How?

it looks a bit all over the place
It sounds it.

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: My oven is rated at 2.18Kw and they say min able is to be 2.5mm.my cooker control unit a 45AMP rated switched with a socket (switched) the first pic in the reply from ban-all-sheds...this goes to the 4 way block ..theres a 45AMP single switched this i think comes direct from fuse box,it then feeds the cooker switch and comming out of this cooker swith is the spur to 4 way..also comming out of cooker switch is a spur to the hob...cables all are thick type..so what i want to do is..cut of the 4 way gang and wire a second cooker control unit for the oven and the socket on it will power my microwave oven rated at 800w..(the main fuse at the borad is a 30A)..

No that is what I call a DIY nightmare :D

Sounds FUBAR to me, I would call an electrician to sort it out for you. If you knew how, you wouldn't ask the question, and to be honest your description sounds confused. Please, I do not mean to sound churlish or insulting, but the way you describe it being wired should be a little concerning as it sounds as if the person who did it did not know what they were doing.

It may be perfectly safe, but it may not be either.

One observation, you assert, twice, that the extractor is wired directly to the cooker control unit, this should NOT be the case, this unit should have a supply via a FCU that contains a mere 3A fuse.

Fouled (or similar ;) ) Up Beyond All Recognition.

It's a bit like SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fouled (or similar ;) ) Up, although that's more likely to apply to plumbing than wiring.....

securespark said:
I led a very sheltered life: What is FUBAR??

I'm disgusted in you...asking questions like that...letting us Northerners down......have you not seen Saving Private Ryan......

I waggle my finger at you.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back