Wiring my Shed

In case you still look here according to the rule book. For socket outlets A minimum of 2.5mm is required (exception: Smaller conductors may be used on subcircuits supplying socket outlets, based on their suitability, in accordance with this standard, and taking account of voltage drop, current-carrying capacity and reliability of connections.)

1mm twin and earth for your lights are fine, it depends on your load for the power circuits but I'd probably run 2.5mm just to be sure, and for the submains 6mm would be more then ample.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks amateursparkyaus for your response . I had a sparkie look at my job and he completed the job using 6mm cable. He made the same points that you have and so all is complete.
Thanks again everyone,

regards
Eggo

I ran the info you supplied through a cable calculator and the mains at 55m run, 20 amp supply (which is enough for your welder + lights) minimum size is 10mm which gives a volt drop of 1.76%. 10mm is an expensive cable so i would step up to a 16mm nuetral screen and drive an earth at the sub board.

You are allowed to carry out all this work that you mention except for the connections (which has to be done by a licensed electrician) but only if you own the house. However you will need a COC to cover all work carried out. If the sparky is sweet talked he may be happy to sign the coc as if he did all the work. If not you will need to have an electrical inspector inspect the work and the sparky will need to see his signed coc before he can liven the installation, thats as per the regs.

Get quotes on the mains price because trades get massive discounts on the cables and wholesalers dont give the general public the prices they give their account holders.

Sponsored Links
Back