Wiring new light fitting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced the old light fittings in the lounge which are 2 separate fittings powered by a single dimmer switch.

Light fitting 1 contained a ceiling rose and I located the switch (black) cable and wired that to one terminal. The other two black cables I wired to the other terminal in the lighting block. The red wires I joined together and terminated in a terminal block.

This light appears to work fine.

Light fitting 2 was a single wire with a black, red and earth cable which I wired to the corresponding fittings in the new lighting block.

When I turned the mains back on light 1 appears to function perfectly but light 2 remains on even when the light switch is turned off.

Any ideas what may have gone wrong here?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like in the first fitting you have three cables. The cable from the mains, the cable from the switch and the cable from the second light.

Assuming this is the case you have wired

The live from the mains to the live going to the switch
The switched live returning from the switch to the live on the first light.
All the neutrals together.
The live from the second light to the (unswitched) live from the mains.

To fix it you need to disconnect the live going to the second light from the terminal block and connect it to the to the switched live. Of course to do that you need to identify which cable is the cable from the mains and which cable is the cable going to the second light (it sounds like you have already identified the switch cable). To do this I would reccomend disconnecting them one at a time and testing the light.

Sponsored Links
Back