Wiring on a double switch???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone was able to offer any advice on my problem. I have just moved into a new house and there was 2 recessed spotlights in the hallway which didn't work. There was a double switch on the wall which I assume is to contol these spots however I would have guessed that one switch would control both, so I am unsure as to what the other switch is for. I took the spots out and realised that that they were low voltage although I couldn't see a transformer. I replaced the spots with mains voltage spots and also replaced the double switch re-wiring exactly as I found it. The switch has 3 sets of wires going into it each consisting of a red live, black neutral and an earth. 1 live goes to the common on one side with a bridging red wire to the other common, the other 2 live go to L2 on each side, the 3 black neutral are linked together with a juntion box 2 on one side and 1 on the other and all the earth are earthed to the light box. I am waiting on a friend coming with a multimeter coming round to see if there is a current running through it. Until such time has anyone got any ideas, any help would be much appreciated. I have taken pictures however have been unable to upload due to my tempremental laptop. Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
It would appear to be wired logically.
It's impossible to say from here what the switches operate.

There may be a transformer in the light fitting.
If there is obviously wont work with 240V lamp.

You definitely need your friend and his meter.

Normally a two gang switch in the hall would suggest lighting for hall and landing(assuming you have a landing) But not always the case. Do you have any outside lighting or if a bungalow a loft space with hatch above?
As far as the hall lights are concerned I would suggest a little more investigation, you should not be putting 240V lamps on to 12V transformers, if you had 12V lamps in original, I would assume that you have transformer(s) within the ceiling void and they have either packed up or a connection has become loose.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back