Wiring one way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought a new light switch and have some basic questions. As you can see from the photo we have old style colour wiring.

1) Red goes into new switch marked L1?
2) Black with red sleeve goes into N/LOOP?
3) Earth stays as it is wired into the metal back box?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
WOW, thanks, totally got that wrong.

Could you explain what COM and L1 mean?

Thanks again, very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Not strictly true. You use the COM and either L1 or L2 depending which way up you want the switch to work. Some switches say on the back use L2 for one way or something similar.
Also it does not matter which wire is in which terminal for one way, just use the shortest one to the nearest terminal.

His switch clearly says “1 way” against the L1 terminal. Did you not even look at his post?

Your post is pointless and adds nothing except confusion. Using your guidance to use L2 would result in the switch operating upside down.

I did not say L2. I said,
"You use the COM and either L1 or L2 depending which way up you want the switch to work. Some switches say on the back use L2 for one way or something similar."

True I did not notice that this particular switch suggested L1.

Hi,

I've bought a new light switch and have some basic questions. As you can see from the photo we have old style colour wiring.

1) Red goes into new switch marked L1?
2) Black with red sleeve goes into N/LOOP?
3) Earth stays as it is wired into the metal back box?

Thanks
Hi,

I have some basic questions trying to replace a two way switch (a landing light where there is a switch at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom)

Currently there is 2 live wires, 2 neutral wires and another neutral wire which I assume is a loop wire?

In my new switch do I put:

1) the 2 red wires into the COM bit?
2) one neutral into L1 and one neutral into L2?
3) the other neutral/loop wire into the N/LOOP bit?

Thanks
Please, please, PLEASE spend a bit of time learning how lighting circuits work, what switches do, and how they are wired, etc.

BAS. It does not matter whether you put Live in Com and switched live in L1, or Live in L1 and switched live in Com.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back