Wiring Outdoor Christmas Light Socket Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, firstly this is my first post, I have dabbled in general DIY fr most of my life, an never undertake any jobs unless I feel 100% sure in what I am doing.
I have only dabbled in small amounts of electrical stuff, but do take a big interest in it.

So here we are in january and my Xmas lights are nearly ready to be taken down, next year I want a bigger display, so i was wondering how would i go about creating an outdoor box to plug all my items in?
I initially thought of wiring a few 13A gangway extensions into a junction box (thus giving me a potential 12 sockets) but am unsure as to whether this is safe. So any tips of how this sort of thing can be achieved - Im not nieve and ignorant so this will not be undertaken unless it can be safe, I love the learning aspect of this so am inrigued by comments and advice, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
IP rated outside socket outlets on a dedicated RCD protected radial circuit installed by a competant electrician.
Separated circuit has an advantage that it could be controlled via a time switch so all the lights switch on and off at the same time, also if a fault occurs only the dedicated circuit will trip and no power is lost to the other final circuits.
If you get an Electrician to install a few double IP rated sockets like the MK masterseal then they maintain there IP rating with plugs inserted, also you can get some weather boxes that have a pre made 4 way extension and plug these into the sockets.
The weatherboxes have plenty of space for the low voltage transformers to be enclosed inside.

Sponsored Links
IP rated outside socket outlets on a dedicated RCD protected radial circuit installed by a competant electrician.
Separated circuit has an advantage that it could be controlled via a time switch so all the lights switch on and off at the same time, also if a fault occurs only the dedicated circuit will trip and no power is lost to the other final circuits.
If you get an Electrician to install a few double IP rated sockets like the MK masterseal then they maintain there IP rating with plugs inserted, also you can get some weather boxes that have a pre made 4 way extension and plug these into the sockets.
The weatherboxes have plenty of space for the low voltage transformers to be enclosed inside.

hi, yes thanks, im going to get a few double ip66 masterseal plugs fitted to the outside - i have seen the outdoor pre made 4 gangway extensions, could i have one plugged into each socket? (making a max of 8 plug sockets plugged into both my masterseal sockets?)

also i have a few of my ropelights wired into a 'incept' multiway adapter plug (4 into 1 plug) could i have those plugged into each masterseal plug?
thanks.

also i have a few of my ropelights wired into a 'incept' multiway adapter plug (4 into 1 plug) could i have those plugged into each masterseal plug?
thanks.

Would the socket cover shut with whatever they are plugged in.
If they dont then the socket ip rating is compromised

thanks.

Would the socket cover shut with whatever they are plugged in.
If they dont then the socket ip rating is compromised

yes i was thinking that, the plug isnt as bulky as a voltage transformer, if not i would need an outdoor weatherproof box as mentioned above - i know my multiplug didnt fit a small splashproof guard.

lots of the new LED fairy lights run at extra low voltage and have a plug-in transformer. That would be greatly preferable to 240v for outdoor lighting on a temporary amateur display.

Check that the box is big enough for the transformers.

I think I saw waterproof box set with a plug-in RCD to go inside the house, with an extension lead and a 4-way adaptor inside the box, at about £20, which would be ideal if you can find one.

lots of the new LED fairy lights run at extra low voltage and have a plug-in transformer. That would be greatly preferable to 240v for outdoor lighting on a temporary amateur display.

Check that the box is big enough for the transformers.

I think I saw waterproof box set with a plug-in RCD to go inside the house, with an extension lead and a 4-way adaptor inside the box, at about £20, which would be ideal if you can find one.

the thing is i have sveral sets of LED 'icicle' lights that have a transformer (these do not fit the outdoor sockets and would need the aforementioned outdoor weatherproof box) but i have several ropelight silhouette decorations - and they are 240v and have standard plugs (of which i wired into the 4-1 multi plug)
i alsways used to run the led cables through my window and just plug indoors, its the rest of the decorations as some go on the roof etc.

If you get the weather box that comes with the pre-wired 4 gang strip socket the plug on this would fit in the masterseal socket so you could have two of these boxes per socket.
Ive plenty of experience with festive lighting having installed supply points and displays in a few large towns accross Cheshire over the last ten years.
We often use adpted enclosures and 16 amp BS-EN603-09 plugs and sockets. Artic grade flex is good for making temporary external leads too.

If you get the weather box that comes with the pre-wired 4 gang strip socket the plug on this would fit in the masterseal socket so you could have two of these boxes per socket.
Ive plenty of experience with festive lighting having installed supply points and displays in a few large towns accross Cheshire over the last ten years.
We often use adpted enclosures and 16 amp BS-EN603-09 plugs and sockets. Artic grade flex is good for making temporary external leads too.

that is the set up im going for - but i have 2 10 gangway extensions, i wanted to plug both of them into the masterseal outdoor sockets - both rated at 13Amps, but would both of these overload the sockets - would it depend on what i actually plugged in? thanks.

The sockets are rated for 13amps
The plugs have a 13amp fuse in them

so

you won't overload the sockets. Too much load will just blow the fuse in the plug, but you'll be unlikely to pull more than 13amps with modern LED Christmas lights.

good thats what i thought, Im having my masterseal sockets fitted soon and will get my extension leads housed in a weatherproof box - cheers for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back