Outdoor Christmas Light Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put on a large christmas light display outside my house. I have 4 large outdoor waterproof boxes which I plan to plug the lights into. Each box would have 2 double sockets in running 4 sets of either led lights or rope light shapes. I have a consumer unit to connect each of these to with each box going to its own switch in the consumer unit.

My questions are:
What size rating switches do I need for each box, 16A or 32A??
What size/type of cable do I need to run to each box? Maximum distance from the consumer unit would be 10m.

I am trying to get all the bits together and run the cables in plastic conduit then get a qualified electrician in to connect all the sockets to the consumer unit and connect that to main supply into the house hence the questions. Apologies if I have described something incorrectly but I'm hoping someone can advise me so I can source the bits from my local electrical wholesalers.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but you'll have to define "LARGE" and what sort of lights they are.

5 sets of 100 LED christmas lamps can run on a 5amp lighting fuse.

1000 sets of halogen lamps with snow blowing machines and automated herds of reindeer will need a lot lot more.

In doing any electrical work, the first thing is to DEFINE THE LOAD

So, time for you to do some adding up.

I'm off to cut the lawn and light the barbecue.

christmas? Bah humbug!

If all these lighting sets are LED then you could probably run your whole display on a single 6 amp MCB. Or even just a plugtop. Like most of the world!

16 sets of lights / items I wouldn't describe as a large display!

You don't need a dedicated CU or conduits for a temporary setup. Just make sure its on an RCD (probably one in your existing CU). Bang a couple of 4 way sockets with long flexes in those boxes and route the flex sensibly along fences etc - you can daisychain them as long as the garden isn't too long.

http://youtu.be/SJrY3p9nzVY

Now that is a large display!!

I am trying to get all the bits together and run the cables in plastic conduit then get a qualified electrician in to connect all the sockets to the consumer unit and connect that to main supply into the house
IT

DOES

NOT

WORK

THAT.

I'm hoping someone can advise me so I can source the bits from my local electrical wholesalers.
Where you'll pay more for them than your electrician will.

Just have him do the design, the construction and the testing and the proper certification.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back