Sockets going live

and exactly the same applies if there is a power cut.
Yes of course, and as you rightly say the risk of hazards from a power cut can be reduced by installing emergency lighting. Emergency lighting is also useful in reducing risks in the house.

But the risk of losing lighting can be significantly reduced by putting sockets and lights of separate MCBs

Sponsored Links
The unit in the garage was there when I moved in (along with all the messy wiring). The house fuse box is on the other side of the house and a cable runs underneath the floor, under a concrete path and up into the garage.

A further update on the original issue: I took everything out of the consumer unit, moved it and tidied it up. Re-connected the lights and outside light, no problem. Reconnected one socket with new cable and it again showed no earth and a live back box. I think the problem is further back - the cable feeding the garage or at the main fuse box.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a two probe voltage tester or a multimeter? A simple test of the supply where it comes into the garage will tell you if the fault is elsewhere.

You must do this before you start disassembling anything else!

I've been turning the power off at the main house fuse box before touching anything.

I connected a garage socket directly from another source in the house, and it had an earth. Then I connected a socket directly from the garage power feed (skipping the garage consumer unit) and it had no earth. So I think that narrows it down to something beyond my control. An electrician has been called!

Some closure for you all:

The electrician came out and the underlying problem was a break in the earth in the cable feeding the garage consumer unit (under a concrete path). He fitted an earth to the consumer unit - attaching to an existing earth for the gas meter outside.

Thanks for the help!

hmm, the underground earth was entirely severed but no problems with the live conductors/rest of the cable???

Not something I've ever come across... can main bonding conductors also be used as circuit earths?

Winston is talking rubbish btw, ignore their 'advice'!

I'd go out on a limb and say absolutely not. I don't have a reg to back it up, but they're not earths, they're bonding cables.

That's like using an earth in a lightswitch as a neutral because you haven't got one there (without an RCD of course)

Winston is talking rubbish btw, ignore their 'advice'!

Not sure what you are referring to, but I don't talk rubbish. If you have a difference of opinion that does make what the other advises rubbish.

Let me clarify - your 'advice' is crap eg advising people to make their installation less safe. I'd love to explain more but frankly can't be bothered wasting my time on you.

Let me clarify - your 'advice' is crap eg advising people to make their installation less safe. I'd love to explain more but frankly can't be bothered wasting my time on you.

Again, your opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back