Plug socket from consumer unit trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I just tried to wire a socket direct from the consumer unit as it only a foot or so away from the CU. There used to be one connected but I've been decorating and it was old so I removed it. I am sure I am connecting it the same as before and to the same trip switch. I used 2.5mm cable, blue wire to neutral bar in CU, earth wire (with outer) to earth bar and live to a 32 amp trip switch which is protected by an RCD. At socket, blue to neutral, live to live, earth to earth.
When I switch on the socket no problem. When I plug in an extension lead the red light on the extension comes on. But if I plug anything else in light, drill, phone charger, it trips the rcd.
Any clues as to what I've done wrong?
Thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
Connected the neutral for the socket to the WRONG neutral bar in the CU.

Also, the socket should be protected by a 16A MCB

you've used the wrong neutral bar.

bah, too late

Sponsored Links
Yes, that did the trick, your help is much appreciated.

One other question you mention the MCB should be 16amp, all of them on the RCD side of the CU are 32amp. I know now the one in the original question should be 16amp. Is 32 correct for the remainder of the house plug circuits?

32A is the norm for a ring final circuit yes.

And your single socket on the 32A breaker is a contraversal one... if there were a ring final cicuit on the same breaker no one would bat an eyelid as spurs from the orgin are allowed, take away the rfc and no one is really sure if it complies or not! Best to use a 16/20A breaker if you have one, but if its not available (obsolete board, etc) then I can think of far worse electricial 'crimes'

I know the OP is in Scotland and isn't covered by Part P anyway, but would I be right in thinking that in England and Wales starting a new circuit from the CU like this would be notifiable under the Part P rules?

I know the OP is in Scotland and isn't covered by Part P anyway, but would I be right in thinking that in England and Wales starting a new circuit from the CU like this would be notifiable under the Part P rules?
Yeah.

Yeah.
But in England, the OP would still be permitted to reinstate the previously existing socket 'like for like', which was the original job, wouldn't he?

Would a 4mm cable be a more appropriate choice if using a 32A breaker?
Or create a mini ring with just one socket using 2X 2.5mm cables?

But I suppose those changes, or replacing a 32A breaker with a 16A or 20A would then make the work notifiable, as it is changing the characteristics of the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back