wiring problem, AUS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem...

switch.jpg

This is the switch I have. two switches control 2 lights, but the knob controls the dimming of both lights.

light1.jpg

Now light 1 pictured above was wired exactly as i took it out cable for cable. There are 3xred into one socket, 2xblack into one socket, 2x green into one socket and 1x white into its own socket.

it works but does not dim.

light2.jpg

These are the wires to the second light that I mixed up and forgot which went with which so I have not wired it back in yet. It confuses me because there are 2xred 2xblack and 2xgreen, no white wire, but the light still has four sockets to fill. I'm confused, can anyone shed some light.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will get many replies because the legal situation regarding diy electrics down under.

I would employ the skills of a local spark tbh.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Sponsored Links
educational purposes only
seek qualified electrican

you will find most likely find both reds go together and fit into the light socket marked as "a" for active if no marking make sure it goes to on of the pins, black will go into "n" for neutral if no marking place in other connection where it connects to. earth will go into a n/c or not connected area of your 4 pin socket , this means that it is iscolated and is there only to keep the wires together. that should be it providing you have no other wires as you will find these wires will run over to your other light socket and piggy backed off the active, neatural and earth

there are a few differant setups

good luck

Back