Wiring replacement lamp & ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

I am replacing one of the ceiling pendant lamps in our '60s house. I took off the ceiling rose cover and took a picture of how the existing (IKEA) lamp was wired.
j0oEHKT.jpg

MhIoZl7.jpg

I replaced the lamp with one that has a blue, brown and green/yellow wire. I connected the blue and brown wires to where the previous ones were, and the green/yellow one I terminated in that little brass block (based on what I could discern from reading different posts here).

as6kuEp.jpg

Mh82Ql2.jpg

To my dismay it didn't work. I checked with a multimeter that the hot terminal is indeed getting current - perhaps the way the three wires are twisted together something isn't making contact?

Any suggestions of what else I can check?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, is this the only light operated by the switch?
That is, are there any other lights that come on and off with this one?

There is no earth so you cannot use the new light.

Solid core (single strand) cables should not really be twisted. Those cables look as if the are quite old, tinned copper and they lack an earth wire, or it has been cut off. Dealing with that lack of an earth is a priority, when the fitting you are installing obviously requires one.

Firstly, is this the only light operated by the switch?
That is, are there any other lights that come on and off with this one?

There is no earth so you cannot use the new light.

It is a 3-gang switch, the left switch is terminated and doesn't do anything, the middle controls this and the 3rd turns on/off the light at the top of the stairs, which is also connected to a 1-gang switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to put the old lamp back on, but in the housing of the new one... that seems to work.

It should work with what you have done.
Many an hour wasted on faulty new products.

None of the following will make a difference to the functioning of the light, but

the four reds should be in LOOP
the three blacks should be in N
the single black should be in LINE/LIVE.
Then brown to LINE/LIVE and blue to N.

All wires should be terminated correctly with none of the metal conductor showing.

Mark the single black so you don't forget which one it is.

Thanks all... lost patience with this thing.

What I did was put the old lamp back on, just used the new (cosmetic) cover - which is just a cover that attaches via a bracket to the screws that hold the base in place.

The wiring in this house does my head in - the previous owner has done a lot of diy and things are labled incorrectly on the consumer unit, i.e. "upstairs lights" doesn't quite turn off the current to all the upstairs lights, some are via the next switch over, "downstairs lights" and "downstairs sockets".

It should work with what you have done.
Many an hour wasted on faulty new products.

None of the following will make a difference to the functioning of the light, but

the four reds should be in LOOP
the three blacks should be in N
the single black should be in LINE/LIVE.
Then brown to LINE/LIVE and blue to N.

All wires should be terminated correctly with none of the metal conductor showing.

Mark the single black so you don't forget which one it is.

All of which means your existing light was the wrong way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back