Wiring sockets on opposite sides of a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of wiring two sockets, on opposite sides of the same wall, with the sockets directly behind each other. Just to be clear, this would mean that the wires are connected to socket 1 and then the cable goes from the middle of the backbox, straight through the wall to the middle of the other backbox and then those wires connected to socket 2.

This feels wrong, because the cable would not be secured, and so when working on socket 2 I would be tugging on the wiring in socket 1.

What is the proper way to do this please? Should I offset the sockets, or is there a way to reliably secure the cable, so that movement in one socket doesn't affect the other?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks EFL.

If that is OK, then great.

It just felt that any possible risk of even the slightest tugging force on the other socket was wrong, so just wanted somebody who actually knew what they were talking about to confirm.

Much appreciated, as always.

What is the proper way to do this please? Should I offset the sockets, or is there a way to reliably secure the cable, so that movement in one socket doesn't affect the other?

Unless you have thicker than normal walls, then you will need to offset the two anyway - assuming the sockets will be flush at both sides. Try to fit them back to back in a shallow depth wall, and you will end up with a hole.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have thicker than normal walls, then you will need to offset the two anyway - assuming the sockets will be flush at both sides. Try to fit them back to back in a shallow depth wall, and you will end up with a hole.

Thanks Harry.

I forgot to mention that the sockets are on opposite sides of a cavity wall, and are both surface mounted. Hole is 12mm, which allows cable to pass OK but there is some resistance when pulling.

Not sure if the cable needs to be significantly downrated when passing through (cavity contains blown insulation). Circuit is 16A radial and I am using 2.5mm T&E

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back