Wall Socket wires too short!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a standard white plug socket in the wall with the new standard wiring Blue(N) Brown(Live) Yellow&Green(E).

I have bought a new chrome socket that I wish to replace but on removing the old white plastic socket I have found out that the terminals are on the opposite sides on the Chrome box and the wires will not reach.

I.E. White socket Live on left and Neutral on Right
Chrome socket Neutral on Left and Live on Right

There's not enough give in the cables to make them reach across to the other sides - What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Invest in a pair of crimpers, like these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Red & Blue crimps for the earth and L/N:

CTBUTTSLASHR.JPG

CTBUTTSLASHB.JPG

and some heat-shrink sleeving.

Practice a few times on some scrap bits of cable until you are sure that you can make sound joints.

As per Bans advice above apart from the need to heatshrink a correctly crimped connection.

Sponsored Links
You're right - I was forgetting the joins would be in an enclosure...

Bluefusion - how deep is the box? Flat plate accessories need more room behind, so that plus the space that 6 crimps will take up might make it a tight squeeze.

Probably he will only need to extend two conductors - assuming the problem is that the L & N terminals are the other way round to the existing socket.

Remember this problem if ever having a rewire done, and specify the use of conduit for all buried cables?

Or simply leave them long enough to reach whereever when rewiring and fold them into the box properly

It seems to be DIYers who cut them *really* short so that they can just shove the socket back without folding them in neatly...

I have to say that now I've replaced wall sockets at my own home (completely rewired in 2007) and for my mum (Dad wired many many moons ago) I found it much easier doing mine as the sparky had left plenty and the way it folded into the box well must be an art to it!.. As for my mums? Just enough (literally!) to do the job.. Now told her to use the same sparks that I did, cost a bit but worth it!

Dear Santa, I would like to give up band hero that I asked for last month (It was for the kids honest) and instead could you wave some magic dust and teach me the art of wire folding into backboxes so I may finish the list of jobs SWMBO has given me.

Thanks Santa,

Rob aged 34
:LOL:

I have to say that now I've replaced wall sockets at my own home (completely rewired in 2007) and for my mum (Dad wired many many moons ago) I found it much easier doing mine as the sparky had left plenty and the way it folded into the box well must be an art to it!

I think it's called dressing. My last sparks was quite particular about deciding which way cables would enter and how they'd best fold up so that everything would fit neatly without needing excessive force. Not quite an art but it's nice to see a level of care. And yes, cutting things short is definitely something that seems like it should be the right thing to do until you learn a little more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back