Socket Design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been replacing my gold coloured double sockets with chrome ones which are layed out slightly differently at the back where the cables are fitted into place. The cables have been cut very, very short and I've had to put the live wires in the hole market neutral and the neutral wires in the hole marked live in order to get the socket wired up and back into the hole in the wall. The earth wires reach their designated hole alright. I can't see any problems with doing this but is this because I'm so ignorant that I'm missing the obvious? If so, will someone point out any problems to me? I've used a 13A Double Pole Switched Socket.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lagu said:
I've been replacing my gold coloured double sockets with chrome ones which are layed out slightly differently at the back where the cables are fitted into place. The cables have been cut very, very short and I've had to put the live wires in the hole market neutral and the neutral wires in the hole marked live in order to get the socket wired up and back into the hole in the wall. The earth wires reach their designated hole alright. I can't see any problems with doing this but is this because I'm so ignorant that I'm missing the obvious? If so, will someone point out any problems to me? I've used a 13A Double Pole Switched Socket.
Thanks

you are joking?

there are so many problems i dont know where to start, death being the major one.

get some ratchet crimps 2.5 mm twin and earth and extend the cables do not use any of the sockets you have done this to, you may kill some one :!:

Lagu said:
Thanks

:rolleyes:

It's Saturday night again.......

The fuse is only in the live pin of a plug, this is now the neutral and vice versa, therefore a live to earth fault will now require the circuit protective device to operate, not the plugtop fuse.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
The fuse is only in the live pin of a plug, this is now the neutral and vice versa, therefore a live to earth fault will now require the circuit protective device to operate, not the plugtop fuse.

I know what you mean but i bet the op doesn't

breezer said:
Spark123 said:

I know what you mean but i bet the op doesn't
:LOL:
Yup, suppose I could have put it, done correctly problem causes a little pop. Done as it is, a problem can cause a big bang, then fire, meltdown etc.

Pensdown said:
That can't be a real post, can it?

I suppose it could be, some people are not too clued up when it comes to eleccy, the worst attitude imo is the "but it works doesn't it" attitude. Never think you've ever seen it all. :eek:
I have seen the incomer reversed at the consumer unit before which is a bit worse.

breezer said:
there are so many problems i dont know where to start, death being the major one.

please stop the hyperbole.

the only real safety issue is the lack of protection from the plug fuse for live-earth faults. In an old system with rewirable fuses and no RCDs this would be a major issue but if the ring is RCD protected this is not a major issue and even if it isnt modern MCBs trip very rapidly on short circuits (on a short circuit is pretty much gauranteed that a B32 will go before a 13A plug fuse)

from a direct contact point of view a 13A fuse will be no protection at all.

having said that it is extremely bad practice to swap them and should be fixed ASAP

Thanks guys. I've replaced the socket with another one which has a different design i.e. the live and neutral holes are on the opposite sides from the first one I fitted. I thought that as long as I didn't have any wires touching then it would be safe but obviously there is more circuitry on the back of the socket than is apparent - it must be hidden in the molded plastic. I appreciate your advice, and I can understand the distain you showed regarding my ignorance. I should have visited this forum before I began the job. Lesson learned.

Plugwash..what about appliances that are feed from sockets with a single pole switch? Although you think you've turned them off in reality you haven't

Lagu said:
I thought that as long as I didn't have any wires touching then it would be safe but obviously there is more circuitry on the back of the socket than is apparent - it must be hidden in the molded plastic.
no circuitry, just solid copper links that connect your bent wiring to the pins of any plug you plug in.

Pensdown said:
Plugwash..what about appliances that are feed from sockets with a single pole switch? Although you think you've turned them off in reality you haven't
thats true but i wouldn't trust a socket switch as safe isolation in the first place (little feedback of status, no gauranteed contact gap).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back