Wiring to garage using fat cable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a newly installed Hager consumer unit. I have 3 spare slots available.

I need to get power to the garage. What is the best way to do it? I have I think - 25mm armoured cable running between house and to the new consumer unit.

The old consumer unit is an 8 way wylex. I would like to re-use this one in the garage. Where is the 25mm armoured cable connected in the house? In the CU or somewhere else?

Also where is the 25mm cable connected on the garage side.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
benjiman said:

. Where is the 25mm armoured cable connected in the house? In the CU or somewhere else?

Also where is the 25mm cable connected on the garage side.

How should we know? follow it and then you can tell us.

I also presume you measured the outside of the cable to get 25mm? cable size is by its cross sectional area of the core

Right now it aint connected anywhere, thats the question!

How should we know? follow it and then you can tell us.

I also presume you measured the outside of the cable to get 25mm? cable size is by its cross sectional area of the core

I think the guy at the wholesaler said its 25mm

more likly 2.5mm2

25mm....bit big for a shed...supplying a large house maybe

chances are its bigger than your incoming supply :LOL:

Sponsored Links
benjiman said:
opps sorry, :D

so tips on how to do it? much appreicated
Do a search here for posts containing any of the following words:

shed garage outbuilding

this topic has been covered exhaustively many times.

But I have to say that questions like "Where is the 25mm armoured cable connected in the house? In the CU or somewhere else?" make me worry that you have nowhere near enough knowledge to be doing this.

Also, at first you said "I have I think - 25mm armoured cable running between house and to the new consumer unit" and then "I think the guy at the wholesaler said its 25mm"

Did you install the cable, or was it already there? Do you know if it's deep enough? Is it 2-core or 3-core? Never mind where to connect it, do you know how to terminate it correctly? Is the size of cable OK given the length and the current you want it to carry - have you done the voltage drop calculations? At which end will you have RCD protection? Do you have the complication of a TT or PME supply to worry about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back