Wiring to kitchen unit lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked through the site and need a bit of guidence/clarification please.

I wish to add down lighters to the base of kitchen units.

Nearby I have installed a new Cooker Switch with built in socket and extended the (separate!!) ringmain to incorporate 2 more double sockets (from original one on the ring plus one spurred from it, now all on ring)

The extractor and the oven are already powered from the cooker switch, fan direct from switch unit, cooker from a connector box lower down.

Can I add the spur for the cupboard lights (low voltage) to one of these units - either the Cooker switch or one of the double sockets. Using 2.5mm T&E to a switched FCU (3amp) (from where the lights will be switched) then 1mm to the transformer.

If so is there will be little difference to me wether I connect to the 30amp cooker unit or the 15amp ring curcuit.

Which one should I connect into????

If its the Cooker, should I use 4mm cable to the FCU then 1mm to the lights.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Why is your ring main only on 15A? I personally would find it better to connect to the ring main with the 2.5mm².

Sorry! I meant 30amp ringmain.

Is the rest sounding ok then??

Any reason why you would favour adding to the ringmain rather than the cooker circuit?? Possibly to keep some kind of continuity in the system, i.e cooker circuit for the cooker etc??

The rest sounds ok to me,
I generally like to keep the cooker circuit seperate for the cooker.

Sponsored Links
Hi Amp,

Hope you get this post. Just to say thanks for the instructions on fixing the dishwasher, the wife was just about to order a new one, before I fixed it with your instructions!! Tip it ,mOP it , use it..cool Thanks again! [email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back