wiring? to replace old room stat with smart switch

However my PC can read this View attachment 273802and it seems so easy, if the current is below target I want boiler and pump to run, so why do I need a wall thermostat? Although I have 14 TRV heads and only 4 are wifi, and 5 are bluetooth, if it just worked with the 4 that would be good enough.

But my PC knows I need the boiler to run, but I see no way to translate that info to a simple switch to turn on the boiler, I would think that there is a if this than that (IFTTT) way to get the TRV heads to turn boiler on/off, this would also ensure the pump does not run when all TRV heads are closed, a speech request "Hey Google what is the living room temperature" gets a reply "TV side TRV set to 20°C and temperature at moment 19°C" so why can't a Google Nest switch also turn heating on/off, without any need for a wall thermostat?
Can you dump the wall thermostat and wire a smart switch in its place, controlled by the PC?

When any TRV temperature is below target the PC would turn on the smart switch which would cause the boiler to turn on. When all TRV's are at or above target temperature the PC would turn off the smart switch which would turn off the boiler.

Something like a Shelly Plus 1 connected at the wiring centre, for ease of access to the mains and thermostat wiring, should do the job? It would be better controlled by a low power device like a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant, rather than having to leave the PC on all the time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back