Wiring TV to laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to use my laptop as a PVR/DVD player, but the laptop is going to sit about 3 metres away from the TV. Before I fit the floor and skirting boards I want to install the wiring to make this possible . . . what kind of cables /sockets do I need ? USB? Skart? Ummmmmm!

thanks!

Sponsored Links
What is the make and model of your laptop?
Some laptops have s-video output to connect to your TV

What add ons do you have to make your laptop a PVR (capture card..) ?
If you wish to record from TV to your laptop, you will need send a signal to your laptop to be captured and stored.

thanks for your reply - I've jsut bought a HP Pavillion and I know it has an S-Video out. laptop hasn't arrived yet so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself! excuse ignorance, but what is a capture card?

thanks again

Hi all,

I want to use my laptop as a PVR/DVD player, but the laptop is going to sit about 3 metres away from the TV. Before I fit the floor and skirting boards I want to install the wiring to make this possible . . . what kind of cables /sockets do I need ? USB? Skart? Ummmmmm!

thanks!

Not wise, any device you use to record the video will probably have unique cables, so if you want to upgrade, or return it as faulty, you'll have to rip it all out again. Best to get some trunking or conduit strip, with a removable 'lid'

The laptop will need a USB or PCMCIA card recording device, in order to capture the out put from your cable/Sky box. If you have them?

Sponsored Links
Hi - havn't got tthe TV yet either ! does an S-video plug into a SCART then? and if so, is this just for playback on the TV?

er, as you can no doubt tell, I havn't a clue about these things!

thanks

Huey

Scart is not S-Vid
Lots of tv's have s-vid
But it is possible to get a convertor from S-vid to Scart, but most scart sockets are at the rear of the tv, where S-vid, will probably be at the front or side

I am not sure if S-Video will provide sound too, I know it doesnt from my video camera. I also need a mini jack to provide the sound, the S Video port only provides the video.

An S-Vid to scart adaptor is common. Also many modern TVs have vga inputs so you can connect your PC output direct. I would not recomend S-Vid output from laptops, all those that I have seen are rubbish. I would suggest that you follow the advice from deluks regarding conduit with removable lid (metal trunking flush with floor) or if your floors are boarded on joists install a 4" (100mm) plastic pipe under the floor with access where needed. You can then feed a scart plug thro' if required. Failing this install 4 video coax (proper stuff not aerial wire) 4 audio screened cables and a 6 way control multi and a VGA cable. This should then cover everything.

Sponsored Links
Back