Wiring two interconnected external security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I wonder if anyone can help......?

I would like to install two security lights (300W), one at either end of my house. I would like it so that when one PIR is activated both lights come on. I would also like to be able to over ride the PIRs so that I can switch the lights on if we are expecting visitors.

How would I wire this to achieve the interconnection and the over ride?

I'd be really greatful if anyone could give me a clear answer to this.

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Your fittings will have four terminals.

Live, Switched live, Neutral and Earth.

You will need a length of 4 core wiring to each fitting. The wire used is up to you, but if its high on a wall, black flex is recommended. If you can get this in 4 core. Do not use grey or white cable or flex, it will disintegrate in sunshine. If not flex, then use hi-tuff, it is made for use outdoors.

Inside the house, connect both cables together, and then run the live to a switch. To activate the override, turn the fittings off breifly, then back on. (Most work like this). Because you've connected the switched lives together, both PIRs work both lights.

Make sure both PIRs can handle the full load (600w).

The maximum amount of lighting you are allowed outdoors is 300w, so I heard.

Also you need to make sure you lights dont shine on your neighbours land or the street.

Also, this work is notifiable to your local authority's building control before you start. They will charge a fee, and in return, inspect and test your work. If you intend to get your own electrician to do this, tell him before you start. Not all will sign off other peoples work.

or buy 2 lights (dont have to be flood lights) and 2 mains PIR's

Sponsored Links
Based on recent experience I would avoid the use of PIRs with the built in over-ride function unless you are happy to have the lights on all night if there is a short power cut which triggers the internal over ride function.

Take the switched live from both lamps and both PIRs to a second switch in the house where the switched live can be connected to live to over ride the lamps to ON when required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back