Wiring up an Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some help plz, I'm fixing a single oven with 2,2KW as the total load. I'm using 1.5mm2 size cable and the instruction manual notes that a 16A minimum should be use. I would like to know if I can connect the cooker to the ring main which has 30amp at the CU. And I would like know what type of double pole socket should I use? And is it possible to purchase a 16amp fuse like the one you find in household plugs(13amp)?

Thanks
colle

Sponsored Links
ok so you oven has a rating of just over 9.5A so its fine on 1.5 cable (so long as the run is not too long) but to be honest you really should put in larger cable for future preference if you can afford to.

No you definatly cannot put this on the ring main cct as the 30A fuse will not protect the cable.

If the manual is telling you to put it on a 16A minumum it is talking about a seperate (radial) circuit in your consumer unit.

also you need a double pole isolator fitted near to the oven and a cooker connection plate fitted from the isolator to the cooker.

If you are confident to do the work then thats fine. But it is notifiable work to your local authority building control.

Put a plug on it and plug it in! You can spur from the ring main, provide a socket behind the oven or in an adjacent cupboard.

RobFurn said:
No you definatly cannot put this on the ring main cct as the 30A fuse will not protect the cable.

Unless you fit an FCU on the ring feeding a socket or other outlet for the cooker.

But it is preferable to have a separate feed for the cooker with oversized cable for future proofing (for when you replace with a range cooker etc ) and also to reduce the power wasted in voltage drop along the cable.

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
Put a plug on it and plug it in! You can spur from the ring main, provide a socket behind the oven or in an adjacent cupboard.

Too Right but if the manuals says put it on its own circuit then it may invalidate the warranty, they will use anything these days to get out of coughing up.

Hi thanks for the replies,
I understand that I can not connect the oven to the ring circuit. I want to round a new cable from the CU to the Oven. By the way I have a gas hob and an electric oven. I would like the know, what size of Cable and size of Fuse will I need from the CU to the Double Pole Switch? Again the total load of oven is 2,2kw and I'm using 1.5mm2 flex cable and the instruction says the minimum of 16A is required.

Thanks
colle

colle said:
Hi thanks for the replies,
I understand that I can not connect the oven to the ring circuit. I want to round a new cable from the CU to the Oven. By the way I have a gas hob and an electric oven. I would like the know, what size of Cable and size of Fuse will I need from the CU to the Double Pole Switch? Again the total load of oven is 2,2kw and I'm using 1.5mm2 flex cable and the instruction says the minimum of 16A is required.

Thanks
colle
What part of plug it in did you not understand? If you want the easiest and cheapest answer, this is it. I was being deadly serious.

The 16 amp reference is a european thing. This is their circuit rating for general appliances. In the UK we do things differently. Your oven takes 9.6 amps, therefore is fine on a 13 amp plug.

RobFurn said:
Crafty said:

Too Right but if the manuals says put it on its own circuit then it may invalidate the warranty, they will use anything these days to get out of coughing up.
I cant see how they could say this. Its been installed in accordance with UK regs, and has MORE protection than the manufacturer required. Besides, the number of single ovens that are plugged in . . . they'd never pay out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back