Installing a 3.7KW Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Single Oven coming on tuesday and it a 3.7KW. At the moment my single oven i have now which has broken down is running off a 13amp plug into a socket and that is a 2.3kw oven. I believe my new oven need to run of a 30amp is that correct?

Also there is a Cable under the unit that is a cooker cable as it a 6mm cable lead to a 30amp fuse at the fuse board. I am planning on putting a cooking switch in the cupboard next to where the oven going and using a 6mm cable from the cooker switch to the oven is that how it done? As at the moment on my old oven it get a 1.5mm cable on it to a plug

Let us know what i should do

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Nope dont have a electric hob and wont be having one.

I have a gas hob at the moment and keeping gas hob.

So just having a single Electric oven and the one we getting is 3.7kw and the one we got now is 2.3kw

Can you possibly advise on how to wire this new oven up and what cables to use. At the moment the old oven is using a normal socket with 13amp fuse which i believe is not good enough for the new oven since it a 3.7kw. Think it high becuase it got a self cleaning system which heats up to 500 oC and it can have grill on the same time as oven.

Hope you can help

Cheers

No one else help on this matter?

Love to know by tmr so i know what to get from the shops

Sponsored Links
The cooker circuit should have the feed going to a cooker switch at just above countertop height, within 2m horizontal of the cooking applicances, but not directly behind the hob

(It should be readily available, easy to locate, and not require leaning over hot pans and open flames, it should not be behind a load of pans and hidden in a cupboard!)

This should feed into a cooker connection unit behind the oven

I'd simply connect the oven to the cooker connection unit with heat resistant flex (min 2.5mm²) , and downrate the breaker to 20A

The trouble is.

I have moved into a 2 years old house so the kitchen is already built. But I have found a cooker cable tuck under the unit lead to a 30 amp fuse. I cant understand why they not had this cable installed to be used for a cooker.

So how am i going to get this installed without damageing the kitchen?

Regards
Andrew

So you're sure that you've just got a cable behind your cooker that goes to the CU?

No cooker isolator position at countertop level thats been blanked off or anything?

That is correct. I am very sure on this.

So you saying i need a cooker switch so the 6mm cable to the cooker switch then and 6mm cable from the cooker switch to a fuse spur then a flex to the oven cant a 6mm go straigh to the oven?

That is correct. I am very sure on this.
Very well then, looks like someone has been cutting corners! but you'll have to work with what you have!

So you saying i need a cooker switch so the 6mm cable to the cooker switch then and 6mm cable from the cooker switch to a fuse spur then a flex to the oven cant a 6mm go straigh to the oven?

Not quite, the normal way of installing a cooker circuit is to have the cable go to cooker switch above countertop, and then to a cooker connection unit behind the cooker (not a fused spur; a fused spur, like a square pin socket is for 13A max)

But yeah, the ideal way if you had a normal cooker circuit would be to link it into the unused cooker connection point, In your case however, I'm not sure what the best solution is, you really need some kind of isolator, while not ideal I'd perhaps be tempted to put on in a cupboard but on the side and very close to the front, not ideal but making the best of a bad situation!

Or if your CU is in the kitchen? clearly labeled isolator just below it?

Dont really like it, but if there isn't much other choice..

In the "best of a bad job" scenario I would have the isolation switch below the CU as suggested rather than hidden behind a cupboard.

If the thing bursts into flames you need a safe way of isolating it and crawling around behind cupboards with flames dancing around your ar*e ain't recommended :LOL:

Now another thing can the cooker point go in the cupboard or has that to be behind the oven as i dont think there be enough space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back