Wiring up zone valve and room thermostat to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a honeywell zone valve V4043h that I would like to wire up with a salus room thermostat to a boiler which has a volt free terminal. The stat on it's own works perfect with the boiler however when I'm trying to hook the valve in it doesn't work. the stat has two wires that connect to the volt free boiler - N.O normally open and COM. I connected the COM from the stat to the boiler's volt free L (which has about 40 VAC). and the N.O from the stat to the BROWN from the valve. The Blue from the valve to N. The GRAY and ORANGE I connected to each side of the volt free terminal. However when the stat calls for heat the valve motor does not respond. How can i make it work?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
That valve requires 230v on the brown wire for the motor to work and open.
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Hello Pete, What I’m trying to achieve is; that when the thermostat calls for heat the zone valve will open and trigger the boiler. I understand from you that the Brown from the valve requires 230v. How do i do that? Is it possible to connect one side of the thermostat to 230v so that when it switches on it will give the same amount on the other side which will activate the valve? My first thought was that the thermostat switch is only aloud to be connected to the volt free terminal. Cheers, Yoav

What boiler have you got?

Are you trying to zone an existing system?

Simple answer is don't use the "volt free" conections

Sponsored Links
If the stat is programmable the com should be linked to l(ive) and NO goes to brown of valve, the grey and orange from valve will connect to the volt free terminals of boiler. If the stat is just a temp control the com gets its power from heating on at the prog, other connections are the same

The stat is programmable. I will follow your advise that makes sense.
cheers, yoav

Perfect! It’s working. Thank you all particularly Mick for going down to colour details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back