Wiring Wickes room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

would be grateful for some advice. Our room thermostat is faulty and I have replaced it with a new one. There are 3 wires, red, yellow & blue although the blue is cut short and wasn't connected to anything in the old thermostat.

There are 3 terminals on the thermostat and Ive connected the yellow to 'on', the red to whats only numbered as '2' and no cable in the terminal marked 'off'.

When I put the power back on after connecting, the boiler starts but the thermostat doesnt switch it off.. Ive tried other combinations with the cables but it seems to be either always on or not at all.

Should I be using the blue (neutral I guess) in the terminal marked 'off'?

any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are 3 terminals on the thermostat and Ive connected the yellow to 'on', the red to whats only numbered as '2' and no cable in the terminal marked 'off'.

what you are saying is you have connected red and yellow together,
terminal 2 is on.

red goes to 1 yellow to 2

apologies, looks like I got them wrong. I have red in 2 and yellow in 1..
Im sure I tried all options but will try again.. thanks.

Sponsored Links
you say the old stat was faulty in what way ? and was it the stat or you just guessed.

as said red live
yellow sw live.

you say the old stat was faulty in what way ? and was it the stat or you just guessed.

as said red live
yellow sw live.

the old stat got wet when a the wallpaper around it was stripped off. It had worked perfectly until then. Hopefully will find time today to swap the cables around and see what happens!

FFS, is it the blind leading the blind here?

It doesn't matter which way round the cables are, as long as they are in terminals 1 and 2.

Your problems lie elsewhere, probably the motorised valve.

FFS, is it the blind leading the blind here?

It doesn't matter which way round the cables are, as long as they are in terminals 1 and 2.

Your problems lie elsewhere, probably the motorised valve.

thats why we asked if its the stat faulty or he's just guessing.

It gets better. If the boiler starts how can it be the fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back