wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a guide to which wire colour does what - I have old wires and new instructions and they don't match up!

Sponsored Links
need to know how to connect new light in living room need instructions and diograms.

as the previous post asked "what colours do you have" ie what is in the old light and what is in the new light?

Sponsored Links
i am hanging a light fixture. I have a white , black, and a groung wire. My fixture has a white , red and a ground wire.
Which colors do I connect to what, and which two colors get the two ground wires?

That will have every one stumped, You are in America and this forum is based in the U.K.

However i can tell you that the black is the "hot" wire and the white is not.
That said, because you are in America you have different regulations depending on what state you reside in, so your best bet would be to ask at your local diy store.

This highlights what i have said in a previous post (can not find it just now,typical)
Most people assume that all "posters"
are from The U.K. where as i had noticed that is not the case, I am not knocking these forums but It also makes me wonder how come you can post whilst Anonymous, yes we could all have a ficticious name, fair enough but at least we would know that xyz posted it and xyz answers electrical questions and pqr answers building questions etc.
I believe the administrators are going to change this soon.

Note for administators, make it so that when registering you have to have your country of origin in your signature.

If anyone cares to look i post
U.K on the end of mine (and you thought that was my initals

U.K

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back