Without an extra tank, will a booster pump help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've pretty dismal flow at home. I live in a rural setting and have almost adequate water flow and pressure. Feed from the street / meter is via 25mm over about 250-300m along the drive.

Will adding a pump as it enters the house help? Throughout the house it's either 22mm or 15mm copper.

Sponsored Links
You can legally only directly pump the mains at a maximum flow rate of 12 litres per minute. If you want better performance than that, you need a tank

How much flow do you get, and where are you measuring it? How big is the tap? How big is your stopcock? Have you got a leak?

You can legally only directly pump the mains at a maximum flow rate of 12 litres per minute. If you want better performance than that, you need a tank
Interesting, thanks. I'll measure it in kitchen (where mains come in) and again in bathroom / outside tap (furthest from kitchen) and see.
How much flow do you get, and where are you measuring it? How big is the tap? How big is your stopcock? Have you got a leak?
Not properly measured yet but if two taps are turned on the furthest one looses everything.
The outside tap barely push the sprinkler.

I'm planning on redoing the boiler soon so will take any suggestions into account for that.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, thanks. I'll measure it in kitchen (where mains come in) and again in bathroom / outside tap (furthest from kitchen) and see.

Start by filling a bucket, timing it to full, and calculating litres per minute.

The bathtap is (should be) the biggest tap, with the biggest pipe, and get the biggest flow, unless it has been deliberately throttled back to suit a combi boiler.

If you have a 25mm supply, you should have a 25mm stopcock. Have you?

Copper 22 is equivalent to plastic 25 (due to wall thickness) so that's OK.

Sometimes restrictive isolating valves are fitted near taps, and throttle the flow. Look out for them.

1682427135281.png

Ah yes. Peppered with those. I saw specific non-restricting ones at screwfix. I'll look along the two circuits (bathroom and outside taps) to see if they part culprit.

I very much favour the Pegler full-bore valves. Rather expensive, but ten times good as the cheap ones (which also leak at whim). Notice that they look fat in the middle, to accomodate the large orifice.

The T handle ones are quite neat, but lever handles if you have room and your fingers are not strong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back