WLAN Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not sure if this is hardware or software but ne ways.

i have a WLAN access point for my PDA. it is connected to a router which this an another comp is connected to. aswell as the modem.

problem is, it says type 192.168.0.50 to access the access point settings. when i do it just times out. i have tried from both computers and PDA. i have also wired it direct to each comp via a X over cable but still no luck. ne ideas?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what operating system you are using, but open a command prompt on the PC wired to the router (START>RUN and then type command and press ENTER).

At the prompt, type IPCONFIG and press ENTER.

If the address of the access point is 192.168.0.50, ipconfig should report your ip address as 192.168.0.?, where ? is a number between 1 and 254 (but not 50). The subnet should be 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway should be 192.168.0.50.

If this is not the case, you will probably have an ip address of 169.?.?.?. If so, this is the adaptor auto assigned address, meaning the pc is not receiving an ip address from the router.

Try typing ipconfig /renew and press ENTER This will effectively request a new ip address.

If no new address, post your operating system & router model and results of above. We'll do the wired bit first and then setup the wireless.

Cheers

Ian

i have managed to get it set u. they put a note sayin you have to change some settings AFTER how to set it all up. stupid manuals.

next question. i have set some keys for access. my PDA can access the network usin a key and can get onto the net. however, it wont connect to my comp. when i try it asks for a password. i have tried every userame and password for the comp but none work.

im using XP pro

Sponsored Links
By keys, assume you mean an encryption method? Which one did you use? (WEP/WPA). Also have you selected the same key type on all clients?

WPA is more secure and generally easy to set, but not available in all kit. You either use a hex key or can generate one using a pass phrase. Depending on which client software you are using, it might want the pass phrase or the hex key. Can you give details of the keys you are using?

Where are you up to with XP service packs? WPA was an add in for early XP pro.

Back