Help setting up FTP access using a NAS, Router and Modem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am a newbie to home networking, and seeking some advice/help.

I have a Smartdisk SOHO NAS drive, that is currently attached to my Belkin Wireless Router F5D7230 v4 UK via the LAN port.

The Belkin Router is connected to my Talk Talk standard issue modem - SmartAX MT882. It is an ADSL modem connected via PPPoA.

There are no connection problems when accessing the internet wirelessly or wired and i have security enabled for the wireless. My main computer connects using wired connection.

I would like to use the NAS's capability to access it from outside the home network using FTP, but just cannot figure out the correct settings and/or way to do it.

I have registered with www.DynDns.com and created an account.
I have their software running and it updates the account when the IP changes.

From reading on the internet and the instruction manuals i understand i have to set up port forwarding, but i am struggling to do it correctly.

I have a firewall in my modem as well as in the router; should i turn one of these off?

When connecting from an outside source using the DynDns address, i am typing ftp://???????.???????.org
Am i correct or should i leave off the ftp://
Also when connecting from outside, i get a connection 110 error and saying the connection timed out.

I am sure i am half way to getting this solved, but just don't understand what i really should be doing....

Does anyone have any experience with the equipment i am using or with what i am trying to achieve, and could possibly point me in the right directions....

Any help would be appreciated....
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I have registered with www.DynDns.com and created an account.
I have their software running and it updates the account when the IP changes.

Tim, I think he's got that covered.

These things are a PITA to set up, I have no experience with this particular model so can offer no advice that you couldn't find yourself on google with the model number.

It does sound a lot like you need to open up the relevant ports, maybe disable the firewall on the junk modem and then configure the router correctly to let your traffic through to this device - can often set up a device on the network so that it receives all incoming traffic by default and doesn't have any associated inbound blocking - bit of a worry when it's your fileserver and not a vpn box though...

Sometimes only a static IP address will work depends on the application (certainly the case with a PINK server like I have), the relevant ports should be opened using the link as posted before.
read the link on FTP it also states a fixed or static IP address

Sponsored Links
How/why do you have two routers?

Why do you not configure and connect the Belkin Wireless router to your ADSL instead of attempting to pass the data through two?

The router he's using doesn't have a built in DSL modem - hence connecting the ethernet WAN port to the lan port on the actual modem - this is normal.

Back