help setting up my router

I didn't think if the router has a fixed IP on a different subnet to a fixed IP on another device that they will talk, I thought they all had to be on the same subnet.

Sponsored Links
I didn't think if the router has a fixed IP on a different subnet to a fixed IP on another device that they will talk, I thought they all had to be on the same subnet.

Uh.. no, they're not talking to each other like that. And the LAN IP is not the WAN IP.

And how do you think you're connecting to computers on the internet? They're not in your subnet.

I was under the impression the modem will be on the LAN with a local IP address, connecting to the internet via either a fixed or dynamic WAN IP address.
The router will also be on the LAN.
If the router LAN and the modem LAN (on his side for the modem) are on different subnets will they talk?
He says the modem works OK if he connects directly to it, so I'm taking it that he is just using an ethernet cable.

I was under the impression the modem will be on the LAN with a local IP address, connecting to the internet via either a fixed or dynamic WAN IP address.
The router will also be on the LAN.

The modem simply passes traffic through itself to the router (or a directly connected PC). They don't actually talk to each other.

If the router LAN and the modem LAN (on his side for the modem) are on different subnets will they talk?

The modem LAN doesn't talk to your LAN. It exists only for configuration.

Sponsored Links
The addresses used by the router and modem for configuration are immaterial.

Wrong!! I had 2 DHCP servers on my LAN and 1 set of computers could not see the other set, until I disabled DHCP on 1 of my routers.

However in this case all still had internet as that was not my issue

The addresses used by the router and modem for configuration are immaterial.

Wrong!! I had 2 DHCP servers on my LAN and 1 set of computers could not see the other set, until I disabled DHCP on 1 of my routers.

However in this case all still had internet as that was not my issue

That's because you had two DHCP servers on one network. That has nothing to do with what I said. It has everything to do with you foolishly having two DHCP servers operating on one network.

The IP address assigned to a cable modem's consumer interface for configuration and the IP address used by a NAT router connected to it do not matter. They are not on the same network, they can be the same, they can be different, it doesn't matter.

The discussion about DHCP and the number of DHCP servers on the network is, on this occasion, in my opinion a red herring.

The "original" VM modems supported a single PC. This PC picked up an IP address in the public range from VM's servers.

When a router is placed between the VM modem and the PC, the PC translates the IP address from the (single) one which the modem is handing out to the router's default gateway, which can be 192.168.1.1 or any other private IP address. Your PC/printer/laptop/what-have-you can then be assigned (either through DHCP or manually) an IP address in the same range as the default gateway. All those machines will have their default gateway set to the IP address of the router, and as all those addresses are on the same subnet, the machines will be able to "see" each other and also "talk" to the internert via the router. And that's about it!

The discussion about DHCP and the number of DHCP servers on the network is, on this occasion, in my opinion a red herring.

No, it's just EFC not grasping the concept of multiple networks and NAT, and giving out dumb advice.

Sponsored Links
Back