Separate Routers for DHCP and DSL - now cannot see Internet

t78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

the router supplied by my broadband supplier (Technicolor TG582n) has been struggling with all my internal network requirements and is a pig to configure.

I decided to dig out my old Netgear DG834GT router to use as for DHCP and wireless, just leaving the Technicolor as the DSL modem.

everything is set up on the internal network and working fine, except nothing can access the internet. I can get to the Technicolor config page (via the router's IP).

I have tried re-enabling DHCP on the Technicolor and connecting the laptop to that and can access the internet, so I know it is connected ok.

any ideas? is there a setting on the Netgear that I've missed somewhere?

any help would be most appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
The DG834 is a modem/router. It will replace the ISP-supplied equipment. You will need to configure it with your ISP-supplied username and password, and set up the broadband settings (in the DG834). If you have fibre broadband, then the DG834 is not suitable; for that you will need to purchase a separate modem and "cable-type" router like the Netgear WGR 614 (think that's the right part number - working from memory)

HTH

You could swop the DG834 for a Netgear N150 Wireless access point such as the WN604 which has wireless and a 4 port switch.
DHCP will need to be enabled on your modem as the WN604 doesn't have a DHCP server.

Have you told the Netgear to use the Technicolor's internal ip address as the gateway (ie allowing it to define the Domain Name servers and so on)?

I would be inclined to allow the Technicolor to deal with, let's say 10 devices (ip addresses) and then allow the netgear to handle the rest

The following should help.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Sponsored Links
Back