wobbly walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have an attic room, some of the walls are sound, some move when you press them and some bits have crumbled completely. When we pulled all of the wall and ceiling paper off and big patch of wall came off with it. the house is 1901, is it lathe and plaster when there is lots of thin strips of wood behind it? Any way i am looking to have an en-suite put up there do i firstly get it all ripped down, ceiling and all and start again before someone starts building an en-suite. Can it all be re boarded on top of the wobbly plaster. (i would like an extra layer of insulation anyway) or do i get someone to build the en-suite then get it all done?
your advice would really help, thank you

Sponsored Links
If the lathe and plaster has started failing I would remove it, the laths can be taken off of the studs etc and plasterboard put over top and skimmed. If the wall framework is wobbly this too can be rectified at this point. Definitely worth doing before the ensuite due to the mess involved in removing the old lath and plaster.

Hi Guys,

I would agree with what John is saying, it will mean a bit of work but it will probably be the best option

Sponsored Links
if the wall plaster doesnt wobble to the touch, does it still need to all come off? Why to the wooden lathes need to be ripped out? would it make a difference to your answer if there was a layer of insulation between the lathes and the roof tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back