Wonky MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I know that MCB are mechanical devices, will this cause issue with them not tripping?

Do I need to get this fixed? :?:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As long as the MCB's operate correctly, there's no need to have them straightened / "fixed" they're very often wonky.

Great thanks for the valuable information, I checked that they did operate correctly, one was a little sticky but now is fine.

Usually its the way they sit on the copper Busbar, as the screws tightened clockwise they sometimes twist, when fitting sometimes if you hold them wonky to the left to start,then they line up better, once ones wonky usually the others follow especially if they loaded up from the Left main switch, but sometimes there just impossible to get straight, so dont worry.
As for the sticky one, it was likely the internal mechanism would still operate, independant of the switch bit moving freely or not, so again likely no real cause of concern.

Sponsored Links
Got you, nice system really.

I understand that surge protectors and arc fault detectors are now being considered / installed.

Is there any benefit to these in a regular domestic setting? This CU was installed in Jan this year but haven't spoken to the installer since.

I think arc fault detectors are more relevant to the US market, where they sometimes have aluminium cables carrying higher currents. More than happy to be corrected on that though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back