MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently upgraded my shower circuit, I know that I need to upgrade the rating of the MCB to 40A, which I have bought today. I have a wylex consumer unit with wylex MCBs. The 40A wylex mcb that I bought today is slightly different in size but it does fit. The existing mcbs have a blue trip switch and the new one has a black trip switch. My question is, is this the correct mcb even though it is the same make, or are there different sizes or types avaible? Also is it possible to mix different makes of mcbs? just a question for future reference!

Thanks
kwil69

Sponsored Links
Hold on there a minute.

When you say that you have "upgraded your shower circuit", what did you do?

Have you installed a new thicker cable or have you just put in a more powerful shower to replace the old one?

and are these Wylex MCBs the sort that plug in?

A photo of your CU and the surrounding cables would be nice.

Brace yourself for bad news.

Hold on there a minute.

When you say that you have "upgraded your shower circuit", what did you do?

Have you installed a new thicker cable or have you just put in a more powerful shower to replace the old one?

Sorry, i have upgraded the wiring as per regs, including sup bonding. The MCB is the one that fits on the buz bar of the consumer unit. [/b

Sponsored Links
photo of CU and MCB please

there are various ranges

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672[/QUOTE]

I dont currently have a digital cam to take pictures. Its a Wylex Consumer Unit fitted about 8 years ago, its a split load board with RCD. The new cable that I heve installed is 10mm2, for a shower of 9KW. I have tested continuity, resistance etc etc. I only want to know if there are different types of type B breakers?

It will have the range on both the breakers by the current rating.
And on the main switch or cover somewhere

Can you see what is on both old and new mcb and post it

Not many wylex ever used coloured switches

The Ns range had various coloured dolly switches depending on size
Blue would have been only for 16 a though ,now most wylex replacements now have black switches AFAIK
Regarding different makes and wylex ranges, Sometimes they look similar but the bus bar connection can be spaced different
I know the ones you mean, but just cant think of the range

It will have the range on both the breakers by the current rating.
And on the main switch or cover somewhere

Can you see what is on both old and new mcb and post it

Not many wylex ever used coloured switches

The Ns range had coloured dolly switches ,but some wylex replacements now have black switches AFAIK
Regarding different makes and wylex ranges, Sometimes they look similar but the bus bar connection can be spaced different

Please give me a few minutes and I will have a look, please hang on a min[/b

Right then here we go -

The existing mcbs have the following markings on them: CPN MC132B, B32, 230V-EN60898.

The new MCB is the following: Wylex 40A SP Type B MCB 6kA, 230V AC, 6kA, BS EN 60898

The new MCB is the following: Wylex 40A SP Type B MCB 6kA, 230V AC, 6kA, BS EN 60898

all that is standard stuff for most mcb
None of that seems to be the range though

Cant recall a CPN though so dont know what that is,
Sure that was a wylex, not something else

Was there anything on the board cover,
If not see if you can see it on the wylex website
It is the range that determines what you need I am afraid

The existing mcbs have the following markings on them: CPN MC132B, B32, 230V-EN60898.
CPN is an own brand they do not appear to be Wylex although possibly a retrofit for a wylex board

Oh yes :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CPN is a Cudis not a Wylex breaker. See here
http://www.cudis.co.uk/Cudis-CPN-MCBs.htm

Maybe thats why you've got a blue switch.

Magic! sorted then! its just that I thought as the cu is wylex, naturally thought that the mcbs would be!

Anyway, it fits on the buz bar with the rest of the CPN breakers, but is it ok to mix makes? there is only a slight difference with the Wylex breaker, and that its slightly taller, but is does fit. If I cant use the wylex one I will change it for the CPN one. [/b

CPN is a Cudis not a Wylex breaker. See here
http://www.cudis.co.uk/Cudis-CPN-MCBs.htm

Maybe thats why you've got a blue switch.

Magic! sorted then! its just that I thought as the cu is wylex, naturally thought that the mcbs would be!

Anyway, it fits on the buz bar with the rest of the CPN breakers, but is it ok to mix makes? there is only a slight difference with the Wylex breaker, and that its slightly taller, but is does fit. If I cant use the wylex one I will change it for the CPN one. [/b

No problem, thanks everyone :)

Always nice to keep the same , if poss

Someone in future might see it and think it Is a bodge ,
I personally would change it as you may not get another oppurtunity if the range becomes obsolete
If I see it I would wonder what was going on and take a look,
Anyone buying the house may think similar and cause them to probe deeper to see what else may be lurking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back