Wonky outside tap!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought a DIY outdoor tap kit from B&Q - very easy to fit and relatively successful.

Only problem is that when I screw on the actual tap it ends up at a 45 degree angle. If I straighten it, it's too loose and either water drips out or when you turn the tap on and off the whole tap moves.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is it a fault?

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
i would say the only fault is you didnt put any ptfe tape on it

breezer said:
i would say the only fault is you didnt put any ptfe tape on it

Ah! I thought that at first - so took it off and put loads on (about half a metre).

Should I try more?

Sponsored Links
This is a pain in the backside. I now use a two part plumbing resin ( Milliput ) that sets rock hard to make up any big differences.

I've tried again with no PTFE tape, a little amount (three times round the thread) and loads (about 1m worth) and each time I screw on the tap it's the same:

Photo0007.jpg

It is too much to ask that the tap is straight!?

Simon

The only tip I can offer is don't tighten it past the last point it is straight. PTFE doesn't like to be slackened off after its last tighest point if that makes sense.

Terry

breezer said:
you could try a washer and ptfe tape

Thanks breezer - I stuck a 3/4" washer on the thread, add some ptfe and it's much better.

Cheers!

Simon

Just for the record, putting PTFE on the threads, in this situation, doesn't achieve what you want.

The way to use PTFE to straighten a bibtap is to bulk it up near the flange and of the spigot (the threaded part). Also, gas PTFE is better suited to doing this because it's thicker.

A fibre washer is a much better solution though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back