Discoloured water in kitchen since fitting outside tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought and fitted a DIY outside tap kit from B&Q which is fitted and working fine.

Problem I'm having is when I run the kitchen tap (which the outside tap is fitted to) the first bit of water the comes out is discoloured. It's worse in the morning and was horrible after we'd been away for a few days.

What have I done wrong?!

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
thats your problem! water is being drawn back into your pipe from your hose disconnect it when not in use or fit a non return valve

Sponsored Links
Thanks stephenf8542 - I'd assumed that if the outside tap was switched off it worked both ways!

Will give it a go.

did you fit a double check valve on the internal pipewrok to the outside tap, i would assume not, but perhaps it is faulty

this is one of those horrible connectors that you clamp onto the water pipe, and screw it till it punctures the pipe with a spike?

you do not describe the stuff coming out of the tap but I expect it will be green corrosion from the damaged pipe. In a few months it will stop as the pipe gets covered with a new layer of scale or oxide.

If the end of your new hose has been left in a bucket, pond or other water feature then you will probably have been siphoning that into your fresh mains water...

Your water board will be delighted... fit a check valve asap!

out of interest, how do you think a water pipe at mains pressure is going to suck up a hosepipe through a closed tap?

I am assuming that the fire brigade did not cause negative pressure at the exact moment by putting powerful pumps on the main.

where are you?

what is the incoming watermain made of? looks like rust to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back