Outside tap (help)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folk

I had a new kitchen fitted not so long ago and the outside tap never got reconnected.

I have an hole in the wall (currently plugged up), a hole in the kitchen cupboard to the pipes, I have the pipework under the sink ready and waiting to be connected.

I bought an outside tap kit from B&Q but the connector on the kit seems to be 25mm and the isolater coming from the sink pipework seems to be 15mm.

What do I need to connect everything up or would I be better getting the tap connected in copper by a professional?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
If it's this thing, the self-cutting tap has a 3/4" male thread on the end and the hose they supply screws onto it. Like a washing machine hose.

You can of course get a 1/2" bsp (female) to 3/4" bsp(male) bush like comes in a garden tap/hose adapter kit.

They're a bit of a bodge compared to "plumbing it properly" of course, but good value for money. They restrict the flow a bit because the hole the self-cutter makes inthe 15mm pipe is small.

It looks llike you might end up with the hose turned up on the outside of the wall. Problems if it freezes !

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...search=outside+tap+kit&fh_eds=ß&isSearch=true

That's the kit

I don't need the self tapping piece of the kit as my pipework has a 15mm isolater already plumbed in. I was hoping I could just connect the flexi pipe but the white connector is to big.

I'd like to get the thing fully plumbed in using copper but for now the flexi pipe and kit would be fine. I'd only use in spring summer for jet washing, wouldn't get used any other time of the year.

Is there any kind of 15 to 25mm adaptors I could fit or is this not recommended?

Cheers

As I said, you need a BUSH.
The isolator is probably a compression fitting. Unscrew the nut and you have a 1/2" thread.
Put a bush on that, plastic or metal.
I'd advise a metal one and plenty of PTFE tape.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, a bloody bush eh?

Will pick one up tonight on way home.

Hopefully I'll have a working outside tap tonight

can't you just change the 15mm iso for a washing machine valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back