Discoloured hot water basin tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little bit of a puzzle that I have never come across previously.
Customer has brought to my attention that the hot water on the basin mixer tap, when first turned on dispenses discoloured water. (A browny red)
Once run for a short period the water runs clear, then when turned off and back on again the water is discoloured again, until runs clear once more.
All other taps/water outlets do not show any discolouring, the tap is located on the first floor (which is also the highest hot water outlet).
The system is heated via a combi boiler less than six months old, on the ground floor.

Anyone come across a similar issue and resolved it?

Sponsored Links
rust stains from iron pipes, usually in quite an old house. It might just be the odd length buried in a wall.

More likely to happen where the water is soft.

No the pipework right from the external stop tap is new. combination of plastic and copper.
I know as it was all originally lead and I renewed the lot.
At the time of installation, the water run clear after the first flush out.

Tap washer perished??..much like the rubber diaphragm fitted to ball valves whereby they leave a black residue when touched.

Sponsored Links
any chance there could be wire wool or something in the pipe?

oh.....
it's just the one tap, in the one basin? I'd take it apart. maybe Wizard has it. Don't remember seeing an old red washer do that. IIRC they used to be for hot taps, and black on cold.

There is also a red vegetable grease, rarely used, for rubber, brakes and binoculars.

Cannot rule out debris, such wire wool in pipework. I do generally flush out pipes prior to fixing taps and outlet valves.
I think best bet would be to take of tap and open up iso valve on hot and see if we can dislodge whatever my be the issue.
Everything is new so I cannot see it being a perishing washer.

Defective pipe? I recall someone having this problem years ago. Get a sample of water in a jar and see if any sediment is magnetic. That would narrow it down

Cannot rule out debris, such wire wool in pipework. I do generally flush out pipes prior to fixing taps and outlet valves.
I think best bet would be to take of tap and open up iso valve on hot and see if we can dislodge whatever my be the issue.
Everything is new so I cannot see it being a perishing washer.

Take the tap off and rule that in/out! Might be a crap tap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back