Wonky Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have seen this topic discussed very briefly in various forums but no real solution ever being offered.

I own a flat in a late 70s block. The windows would originally have been aluminium but were replaced at some stage (I'd estimate 10-15 years ago) with fairly decent quality upvc windows. They are top hung casement windows (awning windows) which are about 1.5m tall.

I recently replaced the gaskets on both the frame and the casement but noticed that both the casement and the frame (to a lesser extent) have bowed slightly top to bottom such that whilst the gaskets seal nice and tight at the top and bottom of the window, there is a c. 5mm gap between the gasket and the frame/casement halfway up, which lets in noise and air.

Previous discussions I have seen mainly went into why this has happened. I'm not particularly interested in this as I can't afford to replace the windows with new and remediate and building issues anyway. Is there any way to close that gap that is well worn? Options that come to mind are:

- I have used a 6mm bubble gasket. Could I just use a 10mm gasket instead (if I can find one) or would that exacerbate the issue long term?
- If I use a wider gasket just in the section of the window that has the gap, would that work in principle or would it cause more bending again?
- I have seen Nico sash compressors suggested - https://www.nico.co.uk/product/sash-compressor/ but that looks like a recipe for a stuck window to me. I am on the first floor so can't get easy access to the outside.
- I have also seen sash jammers suggested - https://www.toolstation.com/era-sash-jammer/p59335- but again imagine these would mark the frames in time and work their way loose if they are having to do too much "unbending" work. However they do seem like a realistic option overall.

Are there any other options out there that people know of or anyone with experience of the above to see what might work? Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20231012_160008.jpg
    IMG_20231012_160008.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20231012_160025.jpg
    IMG_20231012_160025.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20231012_160029.jpg
    IMG_20231012_160029.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231012_160033.jpg
    IMG_20231012_160033.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
I fixed a warped timber window by sanding a strip of wood until it conformed to the gap. Then glued the strip to the window, closing the gap. For a long gap, you could divide the strip into multiple sections. This makes them easier to work with.

Thats interesting. I wonder if I could do something similar with some silicone in a mould without it looking terrible.

Sponsored Links
If its the sash then a sash jammer should hold that in situ, I'd like to hope the sash is reinforced due to its size. I don't think a bigger gasket would cause too many issues though , as after all it will still be pulling tight but bear in mind there are two gaskets, the one you can see on the frame , and the one on the sash.

Thanks Ronnie. I've ordered a thicker gasket to see if that works. I suppose ultimately there is no way to "bend" the frame or casement back into a straight line without replacement so it's going to be a bodge one way or another. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back