Replacing sliding sash windows with casement - gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are accepting a quote from a local company to replace our terrible UPVC sliding sash windows with casement ones. They have said there will be a fairly large gap left as the frame is slimmer.

They said they is usually on the inside, but I can have the gap outside.

Is this correct? The building is cavity blockwork with kingspan in the cavity.

Comparing with the windows at the back of our house which were always casement, the inside cill is a lot deeper.

If what they say is fine, then I would much rather just have to paint over the render they add outside, instead of have the inside skimmed, painted, and have to fit a new cill.

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Your preference, your rear windows have been pushed forward.
Either way you're only gonna have either the render to paint or the plaster and window board to paint.
I take it they'll be doing all that?

Your preference, your rear windows have been pushed forward.
Either way you're only gonna have either the render to paint or the plaster and window board to paint.
I take it they'll be doing all that?

Thanks

They will definitely render outside, and said they would plaster inside. Whether they would replace the wooden window board or not I don't know... I certainly wouldn't want a plastic one fitting over the top!

Looking at it closer, I am not sure if I will get the venetian blinds to fit in the reveal if I don't push the windows forward, as there will be handles sticking out.

I will speak to them, and as they say they do all making good, I will question if this includes a new window board....

I doubt it includes the window board, the blinds will have to be fitted off the window slightly to miss the handle

Sponsored Links
Just checked and the blinds will not fit, so the windows will have to be pushed out. New window boards is not a major issue I suppose, will take me a couple of hours to replace 2 of them.

That's OK for 2 of the rooms, but I am going to have to see if the company I got the bathroom tiles from still have any, as around the window in the bathroom will need to be re-tiled!

I have always pushed the windows forward and lined with uPVC or timber

I have always pushed the windows forward and lined with uPVC or timber

UPVC of 60+mm would look a bit gash I think tbh. Hopefully they plaster it well, don't want to have to sand it much!

I have always fitted them to the outsides. Can I ask whats wrong with your PVC sliding windows?

The sashes let in a lot of noise, and during high winds they whistle like crazy - it keeps me awake all night.

You can also feel a breeze next to them in any sort of wind.

They are 15 years old, but were fitted by the developer and clearly on a budget.

They also seem to be a bit bowed, and the springs have worn so when you lift the sash, some of them drop again - ouch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back